I’ve been following the news and I always see that the rebels want to get rid of Gadhafi. But why should the West consider that fighting Gadhafi means fighting for democracy? I do not see the connection.
In Egypt and Tunisia we saw young people who used Internet that were against the regime and wanted democracy.
But in Libya I have my doubts.
So, I feel that it is good that the UN has avoided Gadhafi massacring its own people. That’s ok. BUT … WHY ON EARTH SHOULD NATO ATTACK THE SUPPORTERS OF GADHAFI AT ANY TIME?
I understand that they bombed airports in hands of Gadhafi so that Gadhafi cannot use its aircraft against its people but I find unacceptable that NATO is just killing any Gadhafi soldier! This is not fair!
Let’s imagine that, thanks to NATO, the rebels take control of Lybia. How on earth do we know that then Libya is going to be a democracy?
I am appaled that NATO is taking sides. I am very worried because this has nothing to do with saving lives and a lot with interfering in Libya.
When I see the rebels so happy because they have won more territory thanks to NATO I am terrified! The UN mandate was to sto Gadhafi massacre of civilians not helping the rebels to win territory.
If NATO countries take part and support the rebels then the other side in Libya, the Gadhafi supporters, I imagine they will see the NATO countries as his enemies and if NATO is attacking them in their land then the supporters may try to attack the NATO countries! And as I live in a NATO country I do not want this risk.
SO, I ASK NATO COUNTRIES NOT TO HELP THE REBELS. THIS IS NOT ITS MISSION AND THEY ARE PUTTING IN RISK THE LIVES TOO OF PEOPLE FROM NATO COUNTRIES!
Well, I imagine that in about a month the people in Europe will begin to think the same as me. But maybe then it is too late.
- Libyan rebels close on key Gadhafi stronghold – The Associated Press (news.google.com)
- U.S. intelligence sees doubts among Gadhafi’s advisors, official says (cnn.com)
- Rebels Advance Toward Gadhafi Hometown (newser.com)
- Libyan Rebel Advance Halted – Sirte Blasted By NATO Fighter Jets: UPDATED (lostchildreninthewilderness.wordpress.com)
- A ragtag rebel army emerges in Libya (cnn.com)
- The Al Qaeda Connection: Who are we Helping in Libya? Here are Some Answers. (xkorpion.wordpress.com)
- Middle East Intervention Is More About Oil Than Democracy (chicagonow.com)
- Obama Readies Speech on Libya as NATO Prepares Takeover – Voice of America (news.google.com)
- US Poll: Most think Arab uprisings won’t lead to democracy (thehill.com)